Finding a pet-friendly rental
Finding a pet-friendly rental has never been easier due to resources now available through the internet. Simply type “pet friendly apartments” into your search engine. The following common apartment-finding websites include filters for housing that accepts pets:
- http://www.apartmentfinder.com/ - use the “Pets allowed” filter at the top of the home page
- http://www.apartmentguide.com/ - use the “Pet friendly” checkbox under Community Features
- http://www.rentlingo.com/ - under “More,” select “Allow cats” and/or “Allow dogs”
- http://www.zillow.com/rent/ - Zillow rental homepage (select pets-allowed filter within more tab
- https://hotpads.com/ - Hotpads homepage (dog or cat friendly filter on top of any city page)
- http://www.trulia.com/rent/ - Trulia rental homepage (Click on all filters and select from “cats, Small Dogs, Large Dogs and Other Pets” filters)
After you find a potential rental
- Show an interest in cleanliness.
- Let the landlord, manager or condominium board know that you share any concerns about cleanliness.
- Point out that your pet is housetrained or litter-box trained. Emphasize that you always clean up after your dog outdoors and that you always properly dispose of your pet’s waste.